Since its launch in 2006, Twitter has evolved from SMS-based status updates to one of the most popular social networks out there. The platform has more than 200 million active users, and odds are you’re one of them twitter is the world’s largest and most popular social media site around the world. You can’t find any other site like Twitter if you want to promote your site on social networks.
Below is a listing of our top 10 favorite Twitter tips and tricks. These tips help make your Twitter experience more enjoyable and can help increase your followers.
- Change your profile picture. Use a picture of yourself to make it seem more personalized if this is your personal Twitter account.
- Utilize as much of the 160-character limit Twitter BIO space allows. Include keywords your followers or potential followers may be trying to find.
- Create your own background image. However, do not make the image too much like an ad or sales pitch. The background image must be less than 800k and we recommend a size of 1600×1200 for a large image or smaller if you plan on tiling the image or just having it on the left-hand side. Finally, keep in mind that smaller resolutions and monitor sizes hide much of the background.
Take advantage of the hundreds of different third-party online tools and services that enhance your Twitter experience. Below are a few of our favorites.
- TwitPic – Take advantage of TwitPic to post pictures on your tweets. If you want to post pictures while away from the computer, use the Twitterific app.
- Qwitter – Great service that sends an e-mail anytime someone unsubscribes from your Twitter profile and mentions a possible Twitter post you made that may have caused them to leave.
- Manageflitter – Fantastic site for managing your followers and getting an overview of people not following you back, quiet users, and inactive users.
- WeFollow – Great website that allows you to add yourself to a listing of Twitter users by tags you find interesting.
SocialOomph – Another great service with a collection of free Twitter tools including the ability to schedule when tweets get posted.
- Twitter Fan Wiki Apps – Finally, this wiki has a listing of several hundred different Twitter applications and tools for users wanting more.
Use Twitter search
Take full advantage of the Twitter search tool. Below are just a few tips that can help improve your search capabilities on Twitter.
- Search for your website or blog URL and see if others are mentioning your page.
- Search for anything near you by adding near” city-state”. For example, typing near:” Salt lake city Utah” club would return current tweets that have happened in Salt Lake City, Utah with the keyword club in them.
- Find people whom you may enjoy following by searching for keywords that interested you.
- If you do not want tweets with links to add? -filter: links at the end of your search query.
- Need more options, use the Advanced Twitter search.
- Any time you get excellent results, click the “Save this search” button to save them. For those with the old Twitter interface, these results can then be found under “Saved Searches” on the right-hand part of your profile. For those with the new interface, they are under the “Searches” tab next to your timeline.